1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12+ Show Quality parents Buckeye hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by JamesA, Jan 22, 2010.

1. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    I have some very nice buckeyes that are 100% Chris Mccarey's line.The hatch mate brothers to these same birds won 1st, 2nd and 3rd at the Ohio Nationals this past year.I have been getting great hatch rates at home and great feedback on eggs that hatched that I have shipped..Pictures below are of the same birds that the eggs will be coming from.Thanks and happy hatching!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Ya know, another one of the reasons I like them ... because they are Heritage, on the endangered list, listed as, "critical!"

I like the idea of working on the heritage breeds!

3. JamesA

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    Quote:Kathy that is why I got started with them but once I got them I fell in love with their personalities.I could just sit and watch them all day.I also love their deep mahogony color.The roo's are so dark and they shine almost like they have some kind glossy coat. I hope your hatch goes well. [​IMG]

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Kathy that is why I got started with them but once I got them I fell in love with their personalities.I could just sit and watch them all day.I also love their deep mahogony color.The roo's are so dark and they shine almost like they have some kind glossy coat. I hope your hatch goes well. [​IMG]

Could you elaborate a bit on their pesonalities? I'm looking for some docile, but interesting birds for my first flock. I've got a 3-year-old granddaughter that will be the chicken ranch boss so I want something friendly. [​IMG] On the short list right now are BO's, S Sussex, Barred Rocks, and Welsummers.

I like the idea of helping out a critical breed, but I do need a friendly chicken.

Thanks,
    Ed

5. JamesA

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia

Could you elaborate a bit on their pesonalities? I'm looking for some docile, but interesting birds for my first flock. I've got a 3-year-old granddaughter that will be the chicken ranch boss so I want something friendly. [​IMG] On the short list right now are BO's, S Sussex, Barred Rocks, and Welsummers.

I like the idea of helping out a critical breed, but I do need a friendly chicken.

Thanks,
    Ed

My buckeyes are the friendliest birds I own.Me an my almost three year old go out every morning to feed them.They follow us around like puppies.I actually keep my three roo's together and I have never even seen them spare with each other.My daughter chases them and she also hand feeds them.I usually give her a treat to give to the them and the buckeyes have figured out who has the good stuff.I would also like to add that they stay together like glue.Where one buckeye goes they all go.Hope this helps. [​IMG]

6. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    ok my speckled sussex are the sweetest i have and you are saying they are nicer than those....well now i may have to try some!!

7. JamesA

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    Quote:I also have speckled sussex and I love them also but my buckeyes are by far my favorite.The ss are friendly but just a little more standoffish than my buckeyes.They are both great breeds I think. [​IMG]

8. Orphy

Orphy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    The eggs I bought from James were packed great! snug with lots of cushion, Thanks and can't wait to make room to order more!

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Quote:Thanks for the feedback, James. I'm working on my short-list...just too many good chickens to pick from. I'm wanting to stick with a single breed for my small flock but it sure gets tough trying to decide! Those Buckeyes look mighty nice. [​IMG]

Take care,
    Ed

10. matte

matte Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    BrushyCreekHome.com
    Hi James,
    Do Buckeyes go broody??? This is one trait I've not seen discussed much with this breed, so I am assuming that they would be similar to something like a RIR in this department...rarely going broody. What has been your experience??
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by