12 Week Lavender Araucana - am I boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by artep1107, Dec 28, 2010.

1. artep1107

artep1107 New Egg

Jan 6, 2010
    I have a 12 week Araucana chick - can anyone tell me if it's a he or she?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Hen

3. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    looks like a hen to me but if it is a purebred pullet then it isnt a auracana it is probably an ameraucana or an easter egger. it isnt an auracana

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:It is an Araucana. The breeder would have to seriously focus on the fact that Lavender is recessive when making a mutt as you think she is. [​IMG] Also, Araucanas outside the USA are tailed, often muffed/bearded, and in most cases even crested. And their most common color is Lavender.

To the OP - It is a pullet. [​IMG]

5. artep1107

artep1107 New Egg

Jan 6, 2010
    Quote:I've had a look at photos of Araucanas, Ameracaunas and easter eggers. I'm confused, what's the difference?........

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Artep, unless you're from the USA, that is an Araucana, and there's no need to worry of the other differences. Outside the US, there are no Ameraucanas, and Easter Eggers are simply crosses of Araucana and something else.

Inside the US there's the issue of hatcheries bringing up Easter Eggers and confusing thousands of people that they're Ameraucanas, so, some people learn the differences but still don't know that outside the states it is a whole 'nother ballpark.

But, in a nutshell - Easter Eggers are birds that lay blue or green (or olive green or such) eggs but don't fit to be a purebred, true Ameraucana or Araucana. Hatcheries, feedstores, and misinformed backyard breeders have these. They usually have green legs, beards, and brown coloration with little bits of black or white. They're very common.

Ameraucanas are a breed with slate legs, beard/muffs, a recognized color (buff, white, black, blue, wheaten, blue wheaten, silver, brown-red) a pea comb, and they should only lay blue eggs. They're uncommon.

Araucanas are a blue egg layer, although in the US they should have willow legs (powdery green color) yellow skin, no tail, and often should carry tufts, but no beard or muffs. They're very rare.

7. artep1107

artep1107 New Egg

Jan 6, 2010
    Thanks for taking the time to explain the difference.[​IMG]

8. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    she

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by