12 week layer attacked at throat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SixChiks, Aug 3, 2011.

1. SixChiks

SixChiks New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    Hello,

New chicken owner. No experience with this.

One of my 12 week layers was killed and another injured today by my own dogs. It was a freak thing that the chicken gate was able to open just enough that the dog must have got enough of his mouth in to snatch and grab. (The dogs are now the proud owners of a brand new electric fence. Thank heavens they didn't go after the neighbors birds.

The injured one is resting comfortably in what was the brooder pen. I used a sterile gauze pad to put a thick coating of argentyn, a homeopathic antibiotic gel. I realize now that I should have cleaned it first (duh). I've been frantically looking up information to deal with this.

There doesn't seem to be any punctures but all the feathers were ripped offer her throat area--and I mean completely. I rather large patch maybe 3 x 4 inches. So it was bloody but not bleeding.

Normally she gets excited when offered anything on a dropper. But she would not take the Rescue Remedy I offered or water I offered. I do have her head placed right next to a quail waterer that I had on hand. But will try to find a hook-one one so she can dip her beak in easier. I have a dog crate that would work for her and to hang food and water.

Okay I've quick looked up some posts.

Looks like peroxide is out and I should clean it with Betadine?

I'm heading out for Betadine, electrolytes, more sterile gauze for cleaning. Looks like I need vitamin drops also for the water? Looks like something called Nutrical paste or Nupreen hand Feed Formula will help.

I checked her a bit ago. What is probably her crop is bulging out. One post said that indicated probable dehydration and it should be massaged. Isn't that going to hurt like heck if I massage this area that just got all the feathers ripped off??!!

Thank you so much for your help.

Carol
    Columbus ohio area

2. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    My dog grabbed and dropped (on my command to drop) one of my silkies FOUR times in rapid succession. Poor bird must have seen 4 lifetimes flash by. She was pretty shocky and panted all night. She was not interested in anything except being by herself for the next nearly 12 hours. By the morning she was fine.

I would clean the wound well (betadine - and I have used neosporin antibiotic as well) and let her stay in a safe, quiet place. If she is alone, I would not bother covering the wound if she is on a clean substrate i.e. newspaper, where stuff won't get stuck in the wound or in the medicine. If it was her neck/chest that got the feathers stripped, the crop would definitely appear shockingly visible, although there may be nothing wrong with it all (that is what I have experienced). At this point I would leave the crop alone.

If the skin was not broken, but the feathers merely stripped off, one good cleaning may do just fine, but keep your eye on the injury.

Some electrolytes in her water, access to food and some high-protein treats may do the trick. Keep her cool (vs too warm, but not cold).

Good luck and hoping for a good outcome!

Allison

3. SixChiks

SixChiks New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    Thanks for the response Allison.

She is doing surprisingly ( to me) well. I got the betadine and cleaned her. There is an open gash that looks deep. Seems to go along side the trachea and crop. Probably tore open when the dog grabbed her there. I didn't try to put the betadine actually inside the wound that didn't seem like a good idea, but I am worried about germs.

I was amazed that when I cleaned the wound and put the gel on she closed her eyes and wilted a little but no cry, no struggle.

I also picked up some blueberries and oranges. Tore some little bits and she ate them. And knocked over her water and got everything wet.

So I picked up the wet towel and the wet pine chips underneath. Put down a new towel. Decided to sit her bowl on the floor of the bin instead of up on a brick. I hope hope she doesn't knock it over again.

Gave her a bunch more blueberries and oranges on a bed of oat flour mixed with electrolyte water. She ate a couple bites. Then we had to bring the mower in which was noisy. So she stood up and then ate more while standing. Like I said I'm pretty amazed.

Whew. I'm tired now. Busy day.

Carol

4. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    That's great! I'd probably skip the oranges - you may want to offer some plain yogurt (they love it) or cottage cheese and/or boiled egg yolk mashed in. Good protein and easy to eat.

Hope she continues to progress well.

Allison

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Betadine sounds good. Keep her in a quiet place, she may be in shock. Get a dropper and a splash of gatorade mixed with a little water and drip it on top of her beak. See if she'll do some sipping. Cut up some grapes and leave them in front of her in some type of feeder (you know, so they're in her face). She may 'zone' out at it for awhile and then come around and try a bite.

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm glad she is eating and that she didn't get any puncture wounds which are most prone to infection.

Betadine soaked gauze is actually used to pack deep wounds in humans so dabbing the inside of her wound with betadine soaked gauze to clean it is ok.

I have had some chickens heal from terrible gashes - they regrow skin very well. I agree that they are such good patients. They seem to know that we are trying to help them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by