12 week lemon cuckoo orpington pullets or Roos?

VICountryGal

Hatching
May 10, 2016
Hi. I have 2 LCOs that I bought straight run. I am not picky on what they turn out to be but am curious and can't seem to figure it out based on the pics I have seen. I hear orpingtons are tricky to sex at the teenage stage but these are my first orpingtons so maybe it's just me. I think pullets but they are so feisty that sometimes I think they will be Roos!! Any help from more experienced members would be appreciated. :).

Last edited:
I am actually leaning towards pullets, but then the comb and wattles are pretty red, so that makes me think cockerel...then again at 12 weeks that could just be an early bloomer.

Could you get a side picture of them without other chickens in the way? I'd like to see the back feathers, because by 12 weeks cockerels should be getting saddle feathers.

I am actually leaning towards pullets, but then the comb and wattles are pretty red, so that makes me think cockerel...then again at 12 weeks that could just be an early bloomer.

Could you get a side picture of them without other chickens in the way? I'd like to see the back feathers, because by 12 weeks cockerels should be getting saddle feathers.
Thanks so much! Here are more pics that show the tail feathers a bit better. They basically have none to speak of though. Especially when you compare them to my other pullets of the same age.

I'm going to go with pullets, despite the comb and wattles and behaviour. Some hens are just more feisty than others. I am not positive, and hopefully you'll get another opinion (or two!). Are you sure they are lemon cuckoo orpingtons? Their color shows up as white, but that could just be my computer or the picture.

I'm going to go with pullets, despite the comb and wattles and behaviour. Some hens are just more feisty than others. I am not positive, and hopefully you'll get another opinion (or two!). Are you sure they are lemon cuckoo orpingtons? Their color shows up as white, but that could just be my computer or the picture.
It's my phone camera and they are pretty washed out pics. Irl they are a pale yellow with the barring. Their tutus (the fluffy underfeathers asI call them) are white. Such pretty birds! I bought them from a big reputable breeder in BC so while I am new to the breed I hope they know what they are talking about ;-). If I can snap a better pic with my canon I will! Thanks again for the reply.

I agree. I am positive those are pullets, yet you never know. But don't worry, my own hen was very fiery and peckish. Hope you enjoying your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom