12 week old americana with crooked beak!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tenmore, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. 12 week old americana
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. active eats and drinks alot just not getting what she needs
    3) loosing not gaining weight
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Crooked beak
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. since hatching I guess
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. starter feed and now a mix of starter and grower pellets and scratch on the ground
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal what ever that is with a chicken
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use 5 by 8 coop 8 by 10 run
    [​IMG][​IMG] she has a crooked beak she looks healthy and is about the same as the other 4 americanas that i have but if you pick her up you can tell right away that she is not as heavy or "meaty" as the others....What can I do as you can see in the pics her top is realy curved like a raptor beak and the bottom is grows out to the side...Is there any thing I can do? Please help...[​IMG]

2. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    bump to top

3. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I hope someone has an idea to help you.

4. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Just wondering can I cut or file them both back to about the same length? Without causing more damage? Please help

5. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Do a search on "cross beak" and you will find everything from good to bad outcomes, to suggestions of do nothing to surgical fixes. I had one last year and my outcome was bad. If I ever have another one, I will cull it as a chick, and I am the most tenderhearted person you can imagine. It would make me cry to cull the baby, but I cried when my other one finally died. It literally starved to death after months of always being hungry and that was worse than a short happy life. I still feel bad that I didn't put it out of it's misery.

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Some people have success with Fileing the beak, I filed the beak of mine and it could get a little more. I could hand feed it and it would follow me around begging to be fed. In the end, I was able to help enough for it to survive but not to grow and live well. I'm sorry, I know this is not what you want to hear (I would not have listened to the same advice when I was in your shoes, either) but it is the best advice I can give you. Good luck with the little one...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by