12 week old bantam cochin + one lohmann (leghorn), need help sexing them

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ginnungagap, Aug 25, 2016.

1. ginnungagap

ginnungagap Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015
    Sweden
    Hello!

I have six 12 week old bantam cochins and one lohmann (bred from leghorn) that I hatched from a store bought egg as an experiment when my hen turned broody.

Three of them I'm sure what they are, but the onesI have a hard time telling so I would really get appreciate getting some help :) it's my second time having chicks, so I'm still learning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First one, hackle feathers look pointy but no saddle feathers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second one, 70% sure it's a girl but i think the face is very red?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Third one (I'm particularly fond of this one) and I don't know if that's saddle feathers coming out.

They are all pretty calm and doesn't seem particularly "roosterish" in their behavior though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lohmann named Ica (named after the grocery store i bought the egg from) I've been calling it a he but since they get large combs but I'm unsure now?
    I can't see any saddle feathers coming out either, and I'm very fond of him(?). I saved him from the egg when his foster mother attacked him, it was rather brutal & bloody but he pulled through and I helped nurse him back to health so we've got a very special bond.
    He likes to perch on my arm, preen, take little naps and talk to me but I really hope it's a she after all since I already have one rooster :)

Any help appreciated!

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    All pullets. The white pullet is a mixed breed. Not a Lohmann (red sexlink) or a Leghorn.

3. ginnungagap

Jul 1, 2015
    Sweden
    Cool!

White lohmann is the breed they use for white egg production here, so I assumed their offspring is the same or does it work differently?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    My point is that Lohmanns are a mixed breed themselves. They don't breed true, and the laying capabilities don't continue past that first generation crossing. First generation birds are sexable by feathering rate. As for egg color, your bird is a cross of two mixed breed birds. You can't be certain what egg color genes she has, you'll just have to wait and see.

5. ginnungagap

Jul 1, 2015
    Sweden
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up, I thought they were a pure breed. You learn something new every day [​IMG]
    I'm just happy to know it's a pullet

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with junebuggena you have some lovely girls

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by