12 WEEK OLD CHICK NOT GROWING

goddesses

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
We have been coddling the runt of our 8 Wyandotts -she has curled toe paralysis which also affects one wing. She has definitely become the family pet. We remodeled the coop and outside area to keep her close, but separate fromthe other 7. Up until this week she has been about 2/3 the size of the others, but it seems she has stopped growing.

We give her water soluable vitamins. She is eating and drinking and doing what chickens do, but not growing. She weighs in around 1lb.

Thanks

I don't have any experience with this but it seems like you are doing all you can for her. If she's healthy and just not growing anymore I'd just keep a close eye on her and hope she's alright. If you see other signs of lagging health then you may have to take other action. You could possibly find a vet in your area that works with chickens and call him/her to ask their opinion.

Hopefully, someone here with experience will come along and help you with better ideas.

Good luck to you and her.

I give my special needs chick, who is also the runt, an extra feeding while the others are out free-ranging. I know she gets some food when they are in their pen, but I feel like the extra feeding and eating at her own pace has helped her to catch up.

Back
Top Bottom