1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12 week-old chickens: are we boys or girls? Updated pictures.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fletch83, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Fletch83

Fletch83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Texas
    Well, my chickens are getting older and bigger but I'm still not certain if I have two pullets. I am new to this, and these are my first chickens, so I am hoping you kind folks can help me! I thought I would be able to tell once they got to be twelve weeks, but, still not sure. As far as breed goes, as far as I know they are both most likely a "barnyard mix"; we got them from a private farm that just had loads of chicks. I had posted some pictures on here awhile back, but they were still quite young then.

Anyway, here are some pictures! They have basically no combs to speak of yet. The black one is giving me pause as its grown a little faster than the other and the black feathers have gotten a little bit of a greenish sheen in the sunlight - I think I remember reading somewhere that roos have that sort of coloring? The coloring on their necks does make the feathers look pointy, however, the tips are quite rounded up close. Either way I think they are both gorgeous!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the second one is a ee hen as she is hen colored I think the first is a hen also. Now most black birds get a beetle green sheen to them no matter the sex

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    both are female

4. Fletch83

Fletch83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Texas
    Thank you both! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by