12 week old chicks have puffy feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greenmimama, Nov 26, 2012.

1. greenmimama

greenmimama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Today my son and I were in the coop where we have 44 12 week old chicks, various breeds, most from Meyer Hatchery.

They are growing nicely and my son noticed that one of the bantam cochins feathers were changing colors. SO I caught him to take a closer look, the colors are so pretty, and I noticed his feet looke really weird, but they are feathered and so I thought maybe that is just what they look like, so I caught another one and another one, I turned about 5 or 6 different breeds over and the bottom of there feet all looked puffy for lack of a better term to describe it. No open sores, or bleeding, nothing that looked like anything other than puffiness.

They are in a coop with pine shavings and oak leaves on a cement floor, but the bedding covers the cement. It has just turned pretty cold here within the last 3 days.

They get fresh food and water everyday, I weaned them off of the medicated chick feed, but they are still on chick crumble.

Is this normal, and I know you will ask for pictures, but I don't have any, and no way right now to put them on this site. I tried googling it and well, I'm not even sure what to ask to prevent from getting some really weird responses that have nothing to do with chickens [​IMG]

Any help is appreciated.

2. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    hey green

since you don't have a photo, all we can do is toss out ideas!
    Are you using regular pine shavings instead of cedar? Cedar can cause irritation.
    Is the bedding deep enough to keep them off the cement?
    Are you sure the puffiness isn't normal for the birds? They have "pads" at the joints on the bottom of their feet.
    Featherd feet birds will look all lumpy and distorted because of the feathers growing out of them...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  3. greenmimama

greenmimama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    I'm not sure it isn't normal, no and that is why I was asking, does anyone else have 12 week olds and can look at the bottom of there feet?

It is pine, not cedar shavings, and it is deep enough, although they do move it around, but the vast majority of it is covered

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by