12 week old chicks on sand--Eating it??

JayDe

Songster
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Lithia, FL
We switched to sand in one half of our porch brooder/coop. (the other half is wire)

Well, my husband put it in a couple hours ago and they are still eating sand. They are 12 week old Orpington and Silkies. Will they be ok? I was a bit surprised because they free range for a couple hours a day and don't spend the whole time eating dirt... Just wanted to be sure we didn't make a mistake!

Last edited:
Eating grit is good for birds and they won't neglect real food. As long as it is gritty sand, and not play sand or anything. Although, I doubt play sand would hurt, just wouldn't help much.

It's the multipurpose sand you can buy at a hardware store. I've seen it recommended on BYC for coop floors... I think its the same consistency as play sand though! Doh! *worried*

Play sand is FINE and is even recommended as grit for young chicks. There is nothing to worry about.
smile.png

I've read here on BYC that many members use sand as their base floor in their chicken pens. I want to do the same soon for my coops to help with the drainage issues, so I don't think it will hurt your chicks at all. They need the grit anyways.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom