12 week old duck has red irritated back with sparse feathers

Kokojoy

Hatching
Feb 14, 2021
Hi all....
I got a call to rescue 10 week old Pekin ducks (supposedly both males) a couple of weeks ago. My friend agreed to take them. This is very new to us and we are slowly figuring things out. I noticed one of them had a small red spot the day I rescued them. I saw them over the weekend and noticed that it’s much worse. We aren’t quite sure what to do or whether this is some normal-ish molting. The other one doesn’t look like this. Thanks for any advice.
Please meet Quatrick Mahomes! And his sidekick Scrooge.
Best,
Koko

Attachments

• 34EA2460-BB47-4FDE-BC9F-13DD97ED3704.jpeg
    34EA2460-BB47-4FDE-BC9F-13DD97ED3704.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 6
  • FF04B8E8-C535-4CE7-B318-009ACB43C5C9.jpeg
    FF04B8E8-C535-4CE7-B318-009ACB43C5C9.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for rescuing them! They are sure cute!

Sometimes when one bird has a red spot other ducks are attracted to it and pick at it. I don't know if that's what is happening here, and I don't really see redness - but it can be hard to capture in a photo. Since you said it is getting worse you might want to watch closely and be prepared to separate the ducks if one is picking on the other until the spot is healed.

Since ducks are so social most members separate with a see through barrier, like a baby gate.

Being meat birds, Pekins grow at such a fast rate, their feathers often can't keep up with their body, which oftentimes results in sparse feather development. It is possible that sparse development is attracting some feather picking, in which case you might want to monitor it a little closer and ensure it's not getting worse.

Back
Top Bottom