1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12 week old EE, a roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littleloveblue, Oct 15, 2013.

1. littleloveblue

littleloveblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    This chick is some sort of EE which I know have longer tail feathers but something about the way it looks and struts around worries me? It isn't aggressive at all and no crowing. What do you think? We are legally allowed roosters and there are many in our neighborhood but my husband wants to find it a new home if it is (he's concerned about the neighbors and kids because his brother had an EE roo who was a terror). Any thoughts?[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    In my opinion (EEs can be tricky to sex sometimes), that is a rooster. The comb is rather red/prominent, the stance is high, and I think I can see sickle feathers in the tail.

3. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

Stance, tail feathers, and comb color all say roo to me. Don't get rid of him just because of a bad experience with another EE roo. Mine have always been super friendly!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    At 12 weeks with that much pink on the face, that black/white color pattern is a common one for EE roos, I think you have a baby roo.

5. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Everything about him says cockerel to me. He has a lot of pink in his comb, the pattern is patchy looking and I can see the rooster brown color coming in on the shoulders, I believe. Also his stance is very boyish.

6. littleloveblue

littleloveblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Hmm, you all seem to be thinking what I am. I think I will have to convince my husband to wait and see what happens. I don't mind a rooster, as long as it isn't aggressive because I have three children. I would like to hatch our own babies:)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by