12 week old EE comb looks concerning

littleprairieheartsfarm

Chicken Rancher
5 Years
May 4, 2018
North Texas
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Easter Easter, 12 weeks old, little heavier than others. Bottom of the pecking order.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
N/A

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
A few weeks it has been noticeable

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
It has been like this for a while, no idea.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Yes

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
No idea

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
E0E46491-719C-4F2D-A24F-88C7F48D8537.jpeg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
No bedding, concrete flooring, only in coop at night.

Last edited:
Would that cause the comb to not grow? Surely at 12 weeks it should have some growth right? The picture makes it look a lot bigger than it is, the comb is almost flat in person.
It's fungal, so I doubt it. I'd put some antifungal on it for a while and see if that stops or slows it.

Miconazole is usually what is recommended, can't remember which brands have that.
Apply once or twice daily for a couple of weeks.
Also, EE's can have later developing combs, especially the pullets, sometimes not much comb at all, so I wouldn't worry about that, size looks normal to me. I have some that barely have any comb or wattles.

Miconazole is usually what is recommended, can't remember which brands have that.
Apply once or twice daily for a couple of weeks.
Also, EE's can have later developing combs, especially the pullets, sometimes not much comb at all, so I wouldn't worry about that, size looks normal to me. I have some that barely have any comb or wattles.
Thank you, this one is particularly skittish so just catching it for one picture was an ordeal. Our other turned out to be a roo so not much to base it off of.

Back
Top Bottom