1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12 week old EE pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Eggcellent, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    I had to bring in one of my 12 week old EEers that was getting picked on a bit in the banty coop so it was the perfect opportunity to get some photos of her(or him).

Here is a photo of my 12 week old EE that I think is a pullet. I am starting to wonder because my other easter eagger that is certainly a girl looks much more girly than this one. All of the confirmed EE cockerels in this group have the same tail feathers as this EE. They all also have larger combs and I can see shiney hackle and saddle feathers on them. I cannot see pointy, shiney anything on this bird so I am assuming it is a pullet.

[​IMG]

By the way, does anyone have any advice on how to treat the pulled out feathers? They were bleeding a little. I was going to let her stay int he basement for a few days at least until it heals.

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I vote pullet! I have used neosporin without pain relief before. It should help it heal. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Looks like a pullet to me too! I've put Betadine spray and blukote on also. Helps heal and if pecked at again, they fon't seem to like the taste.

4. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    I vote pullet

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I might have to side with the rooster choice...am I seeing saddle feathers there?

6. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Thanks for all the votes. I don't know if there are saddle feathers for sure or not. I think it might just be that the feathers are laying funny because of the other feathers being picked clean. All of the other roosters in this bunch have shiney hackle and saddle feathers coming in. This one does not. This one does have more pink in it's comb and longer tail feathers than the only pullet I have in the group but the cockerel combs are much darker red.

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I think roo. That looks like a lot of saddle feathers to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by