12 week old EE Very Thin - Nervous around other birds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hockeychick, May 20, 2010.

1. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Songster

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    Hello,

I have 41 12-week old pullets. They were moved outside a month ago and seem to be thriving. They have all been together from the time they were a few days old. My EE, Ellie, is much thinner than the other birds, and very nervous. She panics when approached by people, and she runs from the other pullets as well. She is active, and I see her eat, but I don't think she is eating enough. The Eggers seem to be at the bottom of the pecking order, and run away from the other birds. When I let the birds out to free range, Ellie stays in either the run or the coop.

I don't know if she is afraid to eat when the other birds are around. Could she have worms? She is only 12 weeks old, and appears healthy. I think I am going to bring her inside tonight so that I can keep a better eye on her and feed her scrambled eggs. Should I look into de-worming? Could she have mites? I use DE in the coop and the dust bath areas. I put ACV in the water, and the birds are eating Purina medicated feed. For bedding, I use pine litter in the coop with DE. There is hay in the run.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Someone has to be at the bottom of the pecking order. Poor girl! I have an EE, Whitey (she's white! the kids named her), and she was at the bottom last year, too. When I put up new chicks, she stayed with THEM instead of going out with the big girls! But she's doing fine now. She got enough food to grow up big and healthy.

If you're seeing your EE eat, and there's plenty of time for her to eat while the others are out, I wouldn't worry that she's not getting enough food. She might just be a thinner bird than the others?

3. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Songster

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    Thanks for your reply. I held her again last night and she actually felt a little fuller. She also seemed to relax a bit more. I am thinking that excessive nervousness might be her problem.

4. ace6175

ace6175 Songster

May 9, 2009
    My EE is the same way - very nervous. I got into the habit of feeling her crop at night when they would roost to make sure she got enough food.
    Luckily, she is very friendly and will jump on my shoulder for treats.

5. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Songster

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    I handled the EE's a ton when they were little, and they are now the most timid. Most of the other birds run to me! Little Ellie is getting more comfortable with free ranging and I can see that she is eating more now. Initially, she would just hide in the coop up on a high roost when it was time to free range. We have a little stream that she discovered yesterday, and all of the yummy bugs by the water. She really looked like she was having fun. Finally!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by