12 week old EE woke me with egg song this AM....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pastrymama, Jul 1, 2010.

1. pastrymama

pastrymama Songster

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    for a very long time. it went on forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she seemed very aggitated, pacing back and forth, couldn't touch her, so i broke out the nesting boxes with the fake eggs inside. all the other birds were just quietly staring from their perches and this EE wouldn not come down. i did not find an egg and i had to take her ogg the perch and she stopped. what the heck? isn't it a bit early? is she going to lay soon? or did she drop an egg before i even got out there and everyone ate it and quickly climbed back to their perches and she was ticked?

2. emys

emys Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    It is early, and I don't think she laid an egg yet - not the first time she sings. She may very well be the first of your birds when they do start though.

One of mine practiced the egg song loudly in answer to older hens she heard singing in another cage around 16weeks old. She didn't actually lay until 6 months...

My only other thought is possible intruder in the coop???

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

12 weeks is far too young to lay, especially for an EE, which are notoriously late in maturing.

The Egg Song is very similar to the High Alert Something Wrong Song. One of mine sang it when she saw a garter snake. The rooster immediately went into Attack Mode, BUT at that time, they weren't free ranging and the durned garter snake was OUTSIDE the run.

That's just my experience. Yours may vary.

4. pastrymama

pastrymama Songster

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    Well, I didn't see anything when I went out there this morning. Just her singing away, pacing back and forth, everyone else quiet as a mouse. hum. She is still irritated and it's 4 hours later. I still can't touch her. My other EE had a little bit of a bloody beak this morning when I went out there, but this has happened before 2 other times, but to the EE that was singing. I just assumed that they scrraped it on something or another bird did it, not a predator. we don't have much in the way of predators here. But anything is possible. So no eggs, huh?

5. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Is it possible that those two chickens had some kind of altercation and she's just upset? The first time I heard the egg song (a few weeks ago), I had no idea what it was. Sure is loud!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: