1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12 week old fighting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kaileenfoster, Apr 20, 2016.

1. kaileenfoster

kaileenfoster Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    I have 10 Wyandottes and they all fight/ size each other up and chase and peck at each other! Is this normal? Or should I be concerned? I noticed my silver laced and blue laced reds are picking on the gold laced ones (I have 3 golds) really bad! They won't give them a break! What should I do? Should I separate the golds? Or separate all of them but color or breed? Thank you!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Even at this age, it's the pecking order. If you separate them now it will make eventual integration even more difficult. As long as they are not drawing blood or causing physical injury, I would let them work things out.

3. Ourpeeps123

Ourpeeps123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    I think you should separate them from the golden laced.

4. kaileenfoster

Apr 18, 2016

Okay, that makes sense..thank you

5. kaileenfoster

Apr 18, 2016
    I just checked on them and they have drawn blood on one of the gold laced.. What should I do? They really don't like these gold ones.. They target just them.. I know the pecking order but it seems like they are just being bullies to them, especially this one..

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How are you keeping them. Wyandotte don't do well is smaller set ups. Make sure there's room for them to get away from each other and that there is things to do like foraging. Some more information on how you are keeping them can help. It isn't normal behavior for them to attack each other.

7. kaileenfoster

Apr 18, 2016

I keep them in a 8ft x 4 foot coop and they free rang out fenced in back yard, I have two big feeders and waters.. I do have a hutch the some get into, I noticed the gold laced ones get into that to get away but it seems when they try to eat or drink they ALL gang up on them

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Are these all hens or are there roosters involved. Your set up does sound adequate. You may have to put a fence up and separate out the golds until you figure out why they are doing it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  9. kaileenfoster

Apr 18, 2016

I honestly don't know.. I got them as straight run. I know Wyandottes are hard to sex, but in pretty sure I have all hens

10. kaileenfoster

Apr 18, 2016
    I might just need to separate the golds from all of them? Maybe the golds are Roos? I've heard sometimes pullets will try to dominate the young Roos?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by