12 week old FR averaged 6lbs ea. Now have question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tberggren, Jul 31, 2008.

1. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    I am very happy with my first try at raising our own meat birds.
    We took our birds to be processed, my husband didn't want me to do it myself, he thought it would be to much work. I must say other than the 20 mile trip out and back the $2.00 a bird fee was really easy to take.

So here is my question. The processing plant fast froze the birds. I am anxious for our first experience to be really positive so my husband will let me do this again.

What should I do so that the meat is tender. These birds didn't do a ton of moving around so I expect they should be ok, but have heard that I should put them in salt water and leave them in the fridge a few days.

Can someone give me a bit more detailed instructions regarding this, like just how much salt to how much water and how many days in the fridge will do it? I am planning on roasting the birds.

Any tips at all will be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

Theresa

2. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
  3. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Thanks! I was wondering about this too, since didn't process our birds until they were more than six months old. The last of the roos went in the freezer at 9 month old, and I was starting to wonder if they would be too tough to eat (they're still so tiny at14-16 weeks old)--I'll just plan ahead then. [​IMG]

4. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i wouldn't brine them until you're ready to cook and even at that, i don't know if i would.

the cornish that i just got from jon, i boiled with vegetables to make into chicken and dumplings and i never brined it. if i had, i think it would have been too salty. i did put a little bit of salt in the water but mostly dry seasonings which seemed to add enough taste.

this bird was actually in ice water for three days with all my other birds. i kept adding ice if it went down. it probably sat on the counter for about an hour before going in the pot of boiling water.

the other birds are now in the freezer and i actually haven't cooked them yet, but from what everyone has said, let it set and defrost in your fridge and let it rest for a while before cooking it. it seems the key is to let it rest which helps it from cooking tough.

5. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I think we talked before,but did you use my guy in Spencer/Van Ettan.I know he uses the icewater one hour\\flash freeze after that.let me know,I'm curious how you liked them. Will

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  6. tberggren

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Quote:Hi Will,
    Yes I did and they are truly a couple of charming guys to deal with. And they only charged me $2.00 a bird!!
    Wish it wasn't a 20 mile trip out there though, [​IMG]

7. Gallina

Gallina Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Broad Run, Virginia
    Don't ever brine poultry for days! It will completely change the texture of the meat into something resembling a sponge! A 3-4 lb chicken should be brined for approximately 2-3 hours. Use 2.5 ounces salt per quart of water. Different salts weight differently so weighing is best. Crystal Kosher dissolves the quickest. You can add favorings to the brine such as herbs and spices, sugar is almost always used to help in the browning. The poultry should be brined at the coldest temperature possible without freezing, 34 degrees is ideal.

To help with crisping for a roast, dry you chicken and place it on a plate in the coldest part of your refrigerator for a few hours.

You can find a wealth of other advice here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=28308

8. tberggren

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Wow! Thanks Gallina!
    That was very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by