12-week old Jersey Black/N.H. Red chicks - all roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wynette, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    These are a cross between a Black Jersey Giant roo over New Hamp. Red hens. I'm pretty sure they are all roos, but would like opinions from folks who know these breeds - I sure don't want to get rid of any possible pullets, because these are supposed to be egg-laying machines, all through winter, too, which I need!! Oh, the 1st pic looks like he's got a cataract or something in his eye; it's just a reflection of the camera flash. Thanks for your feedback:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I dont know the breed but.....

1 and 4 look like they are roos(this is based on the pointy saddle feathers by the tail)
    2 and 3 look like they are pullets(3 looks kinda picked by the saddle feathers but the front area looks pullet)
    2 is harder to tell because of the position and the shade of the picture, 3 really looks like a pullet
    try this.......pullets will have shiny feathers by the neck area but not by the saddle feathers,,,,,,the cockerels will have shiny saddle feathers and shiny neck feathers at this age

I also think the faces look more masculine/feminine at this age

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  3. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Songster

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    #1 rooster
    #2 ??
    #3 rooster
    #4 rooster

4. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Songster

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    2 might not be a roo, but 1, 3, and 4 definitely are.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks, all, for your responses. I'm SO up in the air on these birds! I really need to get the roos gone, as this hatch was an unexpectedly good one (almost 100%) and I really need the room. But I don't want to get rid of any that might be pullets. Thanks again for your feedback!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: