1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12 week old Lavender Orpington gender. Help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Contrastphoto, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Contrastphoto

Contrastphoto Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Sevier County, Tn
    Hello, I am kinda thinking I have two boys and a girl, but am not sure. What do you all think?

[​IMG]
    This is a close up of the one in question:
    [​IMG]

2. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I usually sex my orps by how fast the tail feathers come in. A pullets will come in much faster. Any idea how this one feathered out? I would guess pullet at this point.

3. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    Looks like a pullet to me.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am going to have to go with pullet. [​IMG] I believe you are right about the other two.

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I'm gonna be different and say cockerel- look at those feet!

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like it could go eaither way at this point. if you still cant tell by 16 weeks repost pics...i want to say pullet but those hackles look rooish

7. Contrastphoto

Contrastphoto Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Sevier County, Tn
    Gosh, I don't remember how the tail came in... I will try to remember that for the spring when I start hatching. Can you wing sex the Lavender orps.? Yeah for pullet!!! The other pullet was a week chick that I had to help a little... I know that I shouldn't have but I did, so I was hoping that is why she was maturing slower. I will repost in a month if I still can't figure out. I will have to compare the feet when I put them up for the day to see if I can tell a difference.

Thanks for all you help.

Quote:

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I think the one in question is a pullet - the comb and wattles are way too small for a 12 week old roo.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:x2 I have them and she looks just like my girls did at that age...made me nervous as she was pinkening up-but never got the huge wattles or comb.. phew.

10. anniesmom

anniesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2 I have them and she looks just like my girls did at that age...made me nervous as she was pinkening up-but never got the huge wattles or comb.. phew.

x3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by