12 week old laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LadyGunnar, Jul 17, 2019.

1. LadyGunnar

LadyGunnar Chirping

May 30, 2019
    utah
    I found this tiny egg in the coop today. I have four grown hens. I got all four of their eggs today. I have three 12 week old bantam pullets. Could one of them being laying already? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. LittleBrownie

LittleBrownie 4D Personality

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    Hi,
    It’s most likely one of your grown hens laid a “fairy” egg as found in your picture.
    I don’t think 12 week old bantam pullets would be able to lay yet, not until they’re 5-6 months old.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably not.
    What's inside the tiny egg?

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with new or older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

Rick M and DobieLover like this.
  4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Excellent video!! Thanks for sharing.
    I agree that the tiny egg was from one of the adult layers. One of my hens gave me two of them several months apart.
    One seemed to be from a piece of tissue breaking loose and the other had a tiny ruptured yolk inside.

Rick M and aart like this.
  5. LadyGunnar

LadyGunnar Chirping

May 30, 2019
    utah
    Thanks. I thought it was too soon. The hen that lays this color already laid an egg a few hours earlier. That's what confused me. I have never had a tiny egg before. Thanks again.

LittleBrownie likes this.
  6. LittleBrownie

LittleBrownie 4D Personality

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    No problem, they sure are funny to find though :lol:

Rick M likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: