1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12 week old pullet with pale comb

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrazedCowgirl, Jun 6, 2016.

1. CrazedCowgirl

CrazedCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2016
    Eugene Oregon
    Hi!

I've recently (last week) added two new pullets to my flock. I have them in quarantine until the end of the month. I've noticed that one of my new chicks has a very pale comb. I'm not sure if it's her coloring or if she's sick. I've dewormed them, dusted them for lice/mites and since Eugene has been right around 90 degrees for the last week, everyone has been getting cold water with electrolytes.

She's pretty active, eating fine and drinking lots of water so I'm not sure if she's sick or just has a lighter colored comb then the rest of my girls. She's a spangled/mottled Orp. I'm new chicken mom and I just want to make sure my girls are ok.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's the correct color for the breed and color of the bird, Orpingtons are more pink skinned.

3. CrazedCowgirl

Jan 17, 2016
    Eugene Oregon
    Sweet! Thank you!

These two are my first and only Orp's and I wasn't too sure. Thier parents have lighter colored combs but they're still pretty red and my little spangled is super light, almost white. I just wanted to make sure that she's ok since we have a heat wave going on for another few days.

4. kaileenfoster

kaileenfoster Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    So pretty!! And yes she looks healthy and its normal for her breed, I have two mottled javas and they are 17 weeks old and still have pale combs and wattles

5. CrazedCowgirl

Jan 17, 2016
    Eugene Oregon
    Thanks! I got the Orp's for my 4 yr old son and I think they're perfect for him although I'm really starting to fall for "his" Mottled Orp. She's a fun little bird. We've only had her a week and I can already see her color changing. I think I might swap out my Dominique and a Delaware for a couple more orp's or EE's.

i told my husband we'd only get a few chickens and it's really turned into an obsession. LOL

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Think your black and white one is a Cockerel?
    Hope not..

7. CrazedCowgirl

Jan 17, 2016
    Eugene Oregon
    It might be, hasn't crowed yet and they're about 12 weeks. Hoping it's just older than the breeder thought so it's developing faster. Breeder said the chicks were 8-10 weeks old when I picked them up but the Mottled one looks closer to 12 weeks to me. We'll have to see.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Just its cocky stance in the photo.
    Sadly I can pick out the cockerels.

9. kaileenfoster

Apr 18, 2016
    Mottled javas mature really slow.. Here are my two mottled javas at 17 weeks and they are still somewhat tweeting lol
    [​IMG]

10. kaileenfoster

Apr 18, 2016
    And I'm still not sure if they are Roos.. I was told they where pullets when I got them at 12 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by