12 week old pullets, ok to be outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tororider, Apr 7, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I have three 12 week old pullets, and am wondering if its ok to put them outside tonight. It is supposed to be a low of 40 tonight. I don't have a coop per se yet, they have a run and I have the brooder tupperware out there turned on its side with wood shavings in it, and it is out of the wind. I can grab them and put them in the garage if its not warm enough yet. Looking for expert advice. Thanks in advance.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I would be more worried about predators than the cold. I wouldn't chance the predators. With no coop, they have nothing to protect them.

3. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Sorry I didn't explain it very well. They are in a fully enclosed 4'x8' pen. It has wire mesh totally enclosing it so predators shouldn't be a problem. But I am rethinking leaving them out tonight, am I being a worry wort?

4. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    Can you get your enclosure up in the next few days?

I would wait, can you put them in the garage? Just because they don't have very good shelter and there is only three of them, so they can't huddle together very well for warmth.

Others on here know a whole lot more than I do, but that is what I would do.

5. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    At this age they will be fine outside. Mine are only a month old and already living in the coop outside. I have a heatlight out there, but when I check on them at night only a few of them are using it. At 12 wks old yours should be feathered out pretty good and past the point of needing a lamp at the temps your talking about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by