12 week old Rhode Island Reds Gender .. Rooster or Hen ??!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LilyBarkett, Jun 9, 2016.

1. LilyBarkett

LilyBarkett New Egg

Jun 9, 2016
    Florida
    Hi, we are raising 6 Rhode Island reds as layer hens. They are currently 12 weeks old. We were told that they are all female. Now we aren't so sure .. 2 of them are much larger and very territorial. I'd appreciate any help identifying their gender..! I've attached a couple of pics. Thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    You've got two cockerels and four pullets.

3. LilyBarkett

LilyBarkett New Egg

Jun 9, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks. I'm not sure what to do as we really only wanted layers. This is our first time raising chickens. Will the cockerels interfere with the hens laying? We really don't want them to breed either.

4. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    x2

You should get rid of at least one rooster because two will probably fight and will be to hard on the hens. They won't interfere with laying, though, except they might stress the hens out if you keep both, which could reduce the amount of eggs you get. Sorry you got two roos :(

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Fertile eggs are no different than unfertilized eggs as long as you collect them daily. Unless you put them in an incubator or under a broody hen they will not develop.

That being said, I suggest you get rid of both cockerels since this is your first flock.

6. LilyBarkett

LilyBarkett New Egg

Jun 9, 2016
    Florida
    Thank you both for the advice. I really appreciate it.

7. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I started off with three roosters in our first flock. Two is too many for four hens, but you could keep one or get more hens. They won't interfere with hens laying eggs. They will fertilize eggs, but chicks only start developing after being held at a steady 100 degree temperature for three days in an incubator or under a broody hen.

8. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I guess I'm a cockerel softy! lol. I adore my roosters.

Anyway, if you are going to free-range, you might want to keep one rooster. They help keep an eye on the flock and protect the hens. As long as your boys are non-aggressive with the hens or people, they shouldn't pose any issues... they should be helpful.

9. Hrairoo

Hrairoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Roosters are good to have around, they will protect your girls when a predator comes near.. (Known someone whos roo sacrificed while protecting his hens from a bear)

10. LilyBarkett

LilyBarkett New Egg

Jun 9, 2016
    Florida
    That's really helpful to know thank you. They will be free range in our fenced in back yard so this makes me happy that we could keep one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by