12 week old silkies - pullets or cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pyxis, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I know it may be a bit too early to tell, especially since they came from SQ parents and are ridiculously fluffy. No comb or wattle development yet on any of them.

Blue #1
    [​IMG]

Blue #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my little favorite, a splash:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any guesses! I keep looking for streamers but I'm not sure what I'm looking for at this age.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    As you suspected, it is a bit young to tell. In many cases, you won't know the gender of Silkies until they either crow or lay an egg, so it might be a long wait. But, at least in my opinion, neither one of your birds are looking cockerel-ish. If I had to say that one was a cockerel, though, I would say that the black one is a cockerel. They're both beautiful birds! Are you going to show them?

3. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Thanks! There's actually four - the first three pictures are of two different blue birds. The lighting wasn't the best in the coop when I took the pictures. I haven't decided yet whether to show them or not, I've never done it before so it would take lots of research.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  4. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    Splash is a pullet. Hard to say for the others but Blue #2 might be a cockerel- going by the crest. Standing pictures would be better. Black too.
    Blue #1 to me looks like it could go other way unless I see standing pics ;)

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Thanks! I'll get some standing pictures tomorrow. Today when I let them out they collapsed in a heap and started dust bathing so I couldn't get good pictures except of the splash. Silly things.

6. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    You're welcome :) Alrighty! I look forward to them! (also, standing from the side would be the best. And a pic of them all together would be great too!)
    (They really are silly haha!)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  7. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Okay, here are some new pictures of one blue and the black - of course the blue I'm thinking is a cockerel dunked his head in the water dish and ruined his crest so I'll have to get a picture of him tomorrow. Darn birds :rolleyes:

Blue:
    [​IMG]

My camera has issues focusing on the black because she's so dark so here are a couple pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    can't see the comb formation on them - would be great if the topknot was held back (rubber band?) and a clear, closeup of the front - face and comb. All I can see if black feathers.

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

None of them have any comb development as of yet. But I'll see if I can get some pictures of their combs for you. It's really had with all the fluff.

10. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

try, maybe we could gues for you, although i m not an expert. also, most silkie hens, have got smooth combs, and roosters got bumpier combs
    agreed, need them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by