12 Week old Silkies with 6 month olds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yellowflower, Nov 21, 2009.

1. yellowflower

yellowflower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    Would this be okay? Or is it too early? I haven't yet just trying to plan for winter which is fast approaching. I want them all to be together eventually until I seperate for breeding. The 12 week olds are still pretty small so I don't know if it will be okay. What do you all think?

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I would try putting them where they can see each other and not touch first. I introduce the flocks by sight & sound first, (to see what if any reactions there are) with the size differences I would not move to quickly at putting them in the same pen.

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    6 month old what? I would think you could put 12 week olds of any breed with 6 month old silkies because silkies are such good mamas. However silkies are not so readily accepted by other breeds, especially standards. I would be afraid that young silkies would get picked on.

4. yellowflower

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    There all silkies and they share the coop in a seperate space. The young ones go into a crate at night and then out in there crib turned into pen outside during the day. The older ones were curious at first and one hen sat next to them like she wanted to be there mama. Now they don't seem to care one way or the other.

5. yellowflower

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    The size difference is what I'm most concerned about. The older ones are twice the size of the younger ones.

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:oh yes if they have met through fencing for a while and know each other and are all silkies I think you are good. The most I have ever had was a few minutes of very tame squabling when I blend silkie groups, and when they both are groups of 3 or more I seem to have no trouble at all since they both have their own mini flocks and seem to blend nicely after a few days.

its ok about size they are usually gental with each other and are pretty durable too [​IMG] the smaller ones will probably tuck under the larger ones for comfort

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  7. yellowflower

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    Oh good, I'm going to try it tomorrow when I'll be here to observe. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by