12 week old silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lothefarmer, Jan 7, 2011.

1. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    So, I would like to know what you guys think about these two, I dont know anything about silkies... So, boys, girls, or too early to tell?

Callow:
    [​IMG]

Truffle:
    [​IMG]

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Probably a boy and a girl in that order.

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Quote:X 2!!

4. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Splash rooster and Partridge pullet

5. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    Hi all,

new here Ive thought about geting silkies, is there any good book on them? And how do you tell the male from female?

[​IMG]

6. lothefarmer

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    oh, really?.. i was hoping it was the opposite. [​IMG] the splash one is the friendlier of the two, and we already have 5 males.
    may i ask how you all were able to tell? i'm very curious, especially since i have one more little one that's pretty runty, so i'd like to know what to look for.
    that and i don't really spot any obvious differences, except for the coloring. lol. :)

7. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    The partridge one is the easiest to sex due to coloration. In the partridge variety the color of males and females vary greatly. With the splash two features jump out at me. The crest has feathers of all different lengths. In a female the feathers of the crest should be even in length and round like a pom-pom. Sometimes it takes a while for the feathers to even out, but the look of your splash bird screams male to me. The other feature is his tail. The tail feathers of the female should be very thick with no hard feathers and downward pointed. Your splash bird has a few long hard feathers in the tail with an upward swoop.

8. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    The splash says roo to me. The partridge looks like pullet. The splash looks like my roo when he was that age. The pullet looks like the same overall shape as my pullet. The crest of the roo is not only all different lengths but it also seems to be the Cramer hair, more swept back. The partridge has a much more rounded appearance. [​IMG]

9. lothefarmer

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    okay, thanks guys. :) that was very helpful. i will keep an eye on my little guy, and hopefully i will get another girl. :)

10. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Quote:Only boys have hard feathers in the tail?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by