12 week olds not roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsp523, Jun 25, 2011.

1. mrsp523

mrsp523 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    I have a large coop thats divided to keep the young ones away from the hens when cooped up. I put my first set out about 3+ weeks ago. Their are 6 of them 1 roo/4 pullets 12 weeks old. Did the whole gradual thing first few week they didnt leave coop or run area, then slowly let them free range for brief periods for a few weeks so we could watch them close with the hens. Now they have open range...1 week ago I added the now 8+ week old group 1 roo/5pullets. Again played it very safe with the introduction, making a space for them where they had room to hang out, but could come out if they dared. Here is the issue, my younger group still huddles in a corner and pig pile on each other...the rooster on the bottom (wimp)! yet my other 6 who are also 1/2 bantam breed have been roosting since I but them in there! What is wrong with my older group? My Roo does have a bit of a bum leg, so I do wonder how well he can balance...but would this keep the girls from roosting just because he cant, or chooses not to? There is plenty of space in their side of the coop, with 2 rows for them to roost on.
    When they were in the brooder right up to the end, they would all roost except for 1 of the girls. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

2. mrsp523

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    All these views and no comments [​IMG] I tried to explain the dynamics so one might understand the situation better. I should have kept it simple and said my "Why arent my 12 week olds roosting?" [​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here's how I got mine to roost. First off my chickens have been in their coop since one week old. So everybody's situation is different. Here's mine in the coop at very young age already getting familar with the roost. All I did was go in the coop at dark & picked them up & put them on the roost did this twice. Usually, when one starts to roost they all follow.[​IMG]

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    My lastest hatch - well Momma just turned off her switch and has forgotten she raised them. They don't roost either but dog pile.

They were hen raised so I just don't know but they are in the same coop as Momma so I think they will figure it out eventually.

Caroline

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

None of mine roosted AT NIGHT until they were around 14, 15 weeks old. They practiced during the day, but at night slept on the floor. Finally, they got it together and after one started to roost at night, the others eventually did, too.

I think it's a combination of gathering skill and confidence at the same time. After all, they have to balance there whilst sleeping, not quite the same as the day-time roosting practice.

The only chicks that ever roosted earlier were those which broody hens hatched. Momma is a big lure when she finally goes back to the roost at night. She will call the chicks, and the first few nights will get back down and sleep with the kids again, but at some point she just stops doing that and the chicks HAVE to come up to roost if they want to be next to her all night.

6. mrsp523

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    Well I guess when their ready...they will get on up there! Its just funny to see the little 8 week olds, (who are half pints cause their dad is a bantam) up there looking down on the older ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by