12 week silkie has wry neck on mend but now has swollen eye "HELP"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by New Hatcher, Sep 11, 2010.

1. New Hatcher

New Hatcher Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    Hi I have a 12 week old white Silkie with what I have been treating as wry neck. I have been treating him for only 3 days now with vitamin e and the baby vitamins as well as taking him off of the medicated feed ( should have been off it anyway I just hadn't counted my weeks up) So I thought he was doing great, he eats well ( water soaked grower) he is pooping fine and I give him water from a dropper 5 or 6 times a day he eats 4 or 5 times a day. I have to hold his head strait so he can get to the food and even then he still holds it at a sever angle. I don't know why ( maybe because I'm right handed) but I had never looked at the other side of his face ( side facing down) until now thats when I noticed that his eye is very swollen. It's not like his eye ball looks like it's going to pop out it's just swollen around the eye. Is this from him being tilted all the time or something else how do I fix it. I will try to post pics as soon as I can. In the mean time anyone have any ideas??

Never mind I put it down it seems like I'm talking to myself anyway.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. New Hatcher

New Hatcher Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    Please someone help with this I'm not sure if I should put him down or wait and see??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. pat45159

pat45159 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    new vienna, OH
    I have a pullet with a twisted neck and I find that her eye (the one on the "down" side of her face) will get a bit red occasionally. If and when she lays down, she puts that side of her face on the ground. I think it's irritation from dirt etc on ground and fortunately it clears up pretty quickly. I've been reading the posts on vitamin deficiencies and will start her on that right away. She has been doing fine, and I didn't know there was anything I could do or try for her neck, but I will give the vitamins a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by