12 weekers not eating starter/grower?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by txchickie, May 13, 2009.

1. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    They are free range and I'm sure are getting more than enough to eat, but they hardly touch the starter anymore? There are plenty of bugs, grasses, worms, feed, etc.....I keep their feeder full and they're just not eating it anymore.

Is there anything I can do (aside from penning them up, which I don't want to do--free range works best for us), or should I just not worry about it and let them choose for themselves?

I wasn't sure where to put this....are 12 weekers even "chicks" anymore? [​IMG]

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Mine are seven weeks old and I consider them still chicks! I am not sure about the food but appreciate the free range birds!! Mine are in a coop but we let them out every evening to forage for seeds bugs worms etc...and we move their coop every three of four days! So basically they are more free range just overly protected by an old biddy hen {ME} I couldnt stand to see them hurt or worse! As long as they are healthy I would say its fine!

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Check their crops at night to see if they are full before they go to bed. If so, you're saving a lot of $$ on feed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by