1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12 weeks old and still no eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Rokashan, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Rokashan

Rokashan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    We have 5 Japanese quail, 4 hens and 1 roo. 2 hens are 12 weeks old, 2 are 6-7 weeks old. We are getting concerned because not one hen has produced an egg yet. We have oyster shell in their enclosure, which measures 4' by 1.5' with an elevated feeding area and elevated sandbox area. they have multiple hiding places within the enclosure, no signs of stress. In the mornings when we turn the light on in the enclosure (birds are kept indoors) they chirp away and hop around. The light we have is a full spectrum 5000k cfl. Feeding them on 25% gamebird feed and they get grass clippings every day as well as live grasshoppers and crickets once every few days.

I dont know what we might be doing wrong. help, please!

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    They don't start laying ungil 4-6 months of age (i'm not exactly sure, but this is around when they start laying, it depends on each bird.)

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's most likely the artificial light. I let my birds start laying without the light before I light them up so as not to confuse their egg laying equipment. In this case they are inside so you have no choice, so you'll just have to be patient. I promise you don't have the worlds only eggless coturnix hens, you just need to give them some time.

These are japanese quail hun they start laying at 6-8 weeks.

4. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    My last hen started laying just yesterday at 7:30pm... She is 7 weeks +6 days, I'd say move them closer to a window if you can, if not you can buy grow lights like T5 or T8s and put those over their heads, that or you can get serious and get some metal Halide bulbs (not cheap though).

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

The light bulb he is using provides adequate wavelengths.

6. Rokashan

Aug 7, 2014
    They have always been close to a window. Maybe start giving them a few mealworms every day and see if that helps? I have the dried ones, no one around here stocks live but all the birds go nuts for the dried.

7. Invision

Jul 24, 2014
    Mine go NUTS for live meal-worms, I can even call them and they know what is coming. I recommend raising your own. I ordered 2000 on amazon from California and they are not turning into beetles, think I will be ordering more shortly until mine are on a cycle. I don't know if the worms will help but if there stress level is high that might also contribute to the not laying

8. Invision

Jul 24, 2014
    You could try throwing some long grass or straw in the cage and see what happens. Mine go crazy when I put tall weeds/grass in the pen. they immediately start making nesting bowls. 3 of the hens lay in the same location they even try to hide the eggs from me (natural instinct I think though), i'll find 1 eggs then move some grass and there are two more...

9. Rokashan

Aug 7, 2014
    They dont seem to be stressed at all, they seem quite happy. Relaxed for the most part unless they are chasing a fly or in the dustbath, then they get a bit wild. I put some straw in with them and so far they seem to be completely ignoring it.

10. Rokashan

Aug 7, 2014
    One of the hens is making a kind of purring sound this morning. any idea why?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by