12 weeks old now - any more input on breed or gender?

Josmom

Chirping
5 Years
May 18, 2014
San Juan Islands, WA State
Hello again, everyone! I am thoroughly enjoying my four chickens, and would like to post some updated photos now that they're about 12 weeks old (all hatched 4/30/2014). It would be great if the experts out there could confirm or give me any updated opinions about the chickens' breed or gender.

These chickens were straight-run, and the person who gave them to me told me that they were from birds who were a barnyard mix of White Rocks, Silver-laced Wyandottes, Dark Cornish, Buff Orpington, or Buckeyes. She didn't know which hens or roosters in her backyard flock were the parents of my chickens, so I'm interested to know your thoughts.

I would also like to know thoughts of the best ratio of hens/roosters. They are all still pretty young and none of them has reached POL, but I don't want my girl/girls(?) harassed too much. I'd rather find a new home for the rooster(s) sooner rather than later if they're going to be pestering the girls too much.

Thank you all very much.

Bird #1 - "Daffy" - Pretty sure this is a cockerel due to his size, comb and wattle color, assertiveness, and a crow (sounds like a 13 year old boy whose voice is changing)
smile.png
What are your thoughts on his breed?

Bird #2 - "Pepe" - This one really has me confused. Not sure of gender or of breed. No wattle or comb to speak of.

Bird # 3 - "Soot" - this one has shiny green tail feathers, but is quite small. He/she does have a rose comb and wattle, but he/she is not assertive and is not making any sort of crowing noises like "Daffy". He's got black, white, brown, and green feathers! Trying to see feather shape but it's hard - he/she moves fast!

Bird # 4 - "Gorby" - almost 100% sure this is a pullet. Timid, small.

Thank you very much! Do you have an opinion on Pepe and Gorby?
These two are pullets, the other two are cockerels. They're barnyard mix birds. I'd say the first and last birds had at least one white Rock parent. Soot had a slw parent, and gorby doesn't really look like any of the parent breeds.

looking again, I think the first bird may be white Rock, the white pullet is likely white Rock and buff Orpington.

Back
Top Bottom