12 year old son. First timer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skid-mcmarks, Mar 1, 2017.

1. skid-mcmarks

skid-mcmarks New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    Ok, my son has 6 golden comets on order which should be picked up in about 2 weeks. Dad (me) wants to do this right with as few losses as possible. Big questions...can I keep the chick's in a cardboard box with a heat lamp? (Better suggestion?)

How long until they are moved outside to the coop/pen?

Lastly, does each bird need a nest box? I know I read somewhere they'll share nests. Even if they'll share, is it just good practice to give them all their own space, or is this just unnecessary?

Finishing up coop in next couple weeks.

I live in northeast PA if it matters at all for outside acclimation.

Thanks folks. This looks like a great place for information.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sure you can use a cardboard box but I would cut the bottom out---place it on a scrap piece of vinyl and add some shavings. Most with small numbers just use a decent size plastic tote. Set your brooder up where you only are heating one end or one area if its round. NEVER heat the whole thing----make it like a mother hen----a area about the size of a paper plate for them to get under to warm---never heat their food or water---let that be on the other side. You for sure do not need a red 250 watt heat bulb----they are dangerous, pull a lot of electricity and for sure are not needed. I use something like a 40 or 60 watt bulb with a hanging light fixture on one end. Allow the light to be low enough that the temp is around 100 degree's in the middle of the light---on the floor. Each week you need to raise the light so the temp drops app 5 degree's----after 2/3 weeks you can lower the bulb wattage and lower the fixture to get the temp where its suppose to be if you want, you keep lowering the temp each week until the temp is about the same as the room temp---maybe run a little heat on the cooler nights. After about 4 weeks I move my chicks outside(we rarely have snow) to a round pen with 1/2" hardware cloth and also have a little heated "coop" they can get in to warm.

About one nesting box for every 3 hens is plenty so you only need 2--no more than 3 unless you plan to grow----more chickens.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  3. dannygirl1

dannygirl1 New Egg

Jun 4, 2016
    West Cork, Ireland
    I wouldn't put shavings in until a week old and they know whats feed and whats not. Newspaper with kitchen paper on top is great and provides good traction for little feet, no slipping,. I use a heat plate from brinsea which is very safe and uses very little electricity, enjoy them

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE

1 person likes this.
  5. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Why???

6. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada

Because they can eat it and die .....

Use newspaper with paper towels on top,
    Change the paper towels lots to keep their feet clean .... have fun and read everything you can ... Chickens for Dummies is a great resource

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    LOL. How many chicks have you raised? I have raised 100's and 100's and 1000's on flake pine shavings from straight out the hatcher. I buy the shavings several blocks at the time. I rarely loose a chick, but if I loose one out of a hundred or two I am sure its not from being on pine chips. Sorry if you lost some and thought it was the chips----No I would not use fine chips.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada

Well said I agree with everything you said including the brinsea , i love my brinsea heater and so do my chicks I am no fan of heat lamps, they should be illegal.

9. skid-mcmarks

skid-mcmarks New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    You guys are awesome. Even if you disagree over some of the specifics. Thanks for taking the time to help. I've read everything, and have a battle plan. The coop, probably won't be done by their arrival, so I'm working on the contingency. Again, thank you all for taking time out of your busy lives to help me out.

10. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I am a fact person, not hear say---Probably at least 1000 chicks out of over 6000 chicks I hatched in 2015 alone were raise on pine shavings, with no problems at all----it gets to me for someone to come behind me and make it sound like I do not know what I am doing or saying---and a lot of times the person that is stating it has never lost a chick to that problem----they have just always heard that. If they have the Necropsy repost that states some chicks die from eating pine shavings-----with my personal results I would feel they were not being fed and eat the chips from starvation. My Thoughts anyway. LOL. Welcome to the Forum and happy chicken raising!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by