12 YRO Double Reg Red Dun AQHA Mare

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Beth G., Nov 19, 2010.

1. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Hi everyone,

I have a huge dilema. I have a genetic disorder that has gotten the best of me lately. I just went to Tufts Medical in Boston, MA and will be going there frequently for treatment. I have an absolutely gorgeous Red Dun Mare that is double registered for foundation quarter horse. She could be reg for dun too! i have owned this Mare since she was baby no bigger than a Large Dog!

I need to find this Mare a new forever home. The doctors are telling me I will never be able to withstand riding anymore with the condition of my spine. I have asked around but, in this economy I feel like no one can make it work.

She has had alot of training for Western Pleasure, Reining, English Pleasure, and Trail. She was appraised last year for $7,500 through Great American Ins. Co.

She would also make an awesome brood mare for the right Color Quarter Horse Stud. She has never been bred but, with this girls bloodlines her babies will be worth some money.

On December 17th to Jan 4th I will be on bedrest and then on a new Medicine. I need help finding her a new owner before I get too bad and also definately before the 17th.

If you or anyone you know might be intersted in this Mare will you please send me a PM or Email? I would never ask her appraised price and am more interested in this Mare going to a home where she will live with this owner another 12 yrs+++ I am hoping this person loves riding b/c this Mare loves to be ridden. She needs a job to feel worthy and loves to please.

No reasonable offers will be turned down!! Here is one picture I have on BYC but, I have more I can email. In this picture she has a dog collar on. It is not a cribbing collar and she does not crib. She has no vices at all.

[​IMG]

Thank you for looking!!
    Beth

2. RiverOtter

RiverOtter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    Best of luck to you. I'm so sorry you're going through this.
    Please don't believe everything the doctors say. They know all about diagnosing and medicating - but what you do with your life is largely up to you. They can tell you a medicine can make you feel awful, they can't tell you that you won't get out of bed anyway.

When I was 20, I aggravated a childhood injury, paralyzing myself from the waist down for three days. I'm sure you can imagine the gut wrenching fear. Doctors told me I would need surgery, possibly several surgeries. They said I would have to wear a metal brace for the rest of my life. That I would walk again, but probably not run, and certainly not ride. That I would never work again, but be on disability for the rest of my life.

That was 13 years ago. I've never had back surgery. I've never worn a metal brace. I've had 2 children and many jobs, including as a wrangler/trail guide on a horse ranch On that job I sometimes rode 6 hours a day. I can walk, run and turn a cartwheel. The doctors knew all about back injuries, but nothing about me. My recovery was long and painful and involved too many hours of physical therapy, chiropractic adjustment, electric muscle stimulation and more physical therapy then I care to count.

Your situation is not mine. My injury is different from what you're going through. But I know what many doctors dont and that is that the human spirit can overcome quite a bit and also that riding can be very therapeutic and even strengthen your back.

I hope you find a good home for your mare.
    I hope your condition improves and you find a good physical therapist.
    I hope you ride again.

3. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Well...sometimes the doctors do know. I have what is probably similar in some ways, and we thought for many months I was done. I was told to sell my farm and horses.

But it isn't all just will power and 'if you think you can, you can'. Some times the doctors really are right.

Sometimes you work very, very hard in physical therapy, and take medication, even get surgery, and some disorders just don't respond. Sometimes things seem to get better for a little while, and you get real hopeful and then...it worsens again. It can be like a rollercoaster.

Most of those disorders can be severe or mild or anything in between, and some people are just lucky to have a mild case, and others are not that lucky.

Every situation is so individual, you have to do what you think is best. I think if the person feels it's right, they know best.

4. RiverOtter

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    Welsummerchicks and BethG, I'm sorry if my post came across as "all just will power and 'if you think you can, you can'." Because clearly, that's not true.

I meant it more as a warning against witch doctor syndrome, which is this; If a witch doctor puts a death curse on a tourist - the tourist goes home and has a good story to tell his friends.
    If a witch doctor puts a death curse on a native of his village, the villager dies before the next full moon.
    The difference is, the villager believes totally that the witch doctor has that power, and the tourist believes totally that the witch doctor is a 3rd world conman.

My mom was an inner city EMT. There are many gunshot wound patients that die from non-fatal shootings. Medically, there was no trauma caused by the wound itself that would cause the patient to die and officially they are recorded as shock. And doubtless some of them are indeed shock - every individual incidence is different. But some of them are simply that the patient knows that when you are shot you die.

In our culture we tend to believe totally doctors so when one (and especially if two!) say something like "You'll never be functional again" we say "Oh, ok." and never function again. But the problem is sometimes they're right, sometimes they're not and sometimes they are covering their hineys against medical malpractice by telling you only the Worst Case Scenario because then all your surprises are happy and you think they are a medical genius.

But please, don't believe what I - or anyone else - says.
    Find out for yourself. Here's a start (if you're interested) Some of the most informative medical sites you need to subscribe to.
    http://www.pec-journal.com/article/S0738-3991(97)00109-2/abstract
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/728015

5. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Hello,

Thank you both for your responses. Unfortunately I have been battling this for a long time. I've held onto this Mare in hopes the doctors were wrong however the more I wait and see, the more the doctors are right. My genetic disorder is very progressive and my body keep rejecting the medicines that I have been trying in the last 7 years and am now out of options. That is why I am going to travle the distance to Tufts Medical [​IMG]

Riverotter I didn't take your post beyond you were educating me that it's not always what it seems. I'm very happy to hear you were able to beat what you had and cont'u with riding!! I hope you cont'u with your recovery and never have to have surgery [​IMG]

If either of you know of anyone that could give her a new forever home would you keep her in mind and pass the info along?

Thank you so much for looking and posting!
    Beth

6. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Sure will. You could post some signs in your local tack shops, and at riding schools and local shows. Very effective and cheap, too.

I'm sorry things have progressed. I hope you get some new ideas at Tuft's. Good place to go for new ideas.

7. RiverOtter

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    I'm sorry that you're going through so much. I hope you find a better answer at Tufts.
    I found a forum called Chronicles of The Horse that may be able to help you. There are lots of resources there and posting your mare there may well find her a buyer.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/

Also, if you haven't already, tell your vet and especially your farrier that your mare is for sale. They will do the best job of spreading the word locally.
    Everyone I know personally is full up ( [​IMG] I had someone try to give me one while I was asking - I've got no fence yet) but I will keep asking around. I've friends and family in the northeast.

8. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Sorry to hear. Good luck selling the mare. I know people around here that cant sell horses like that for 1k....the bottom is so out of the horse market.

9. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    So sorry to hear of your health issues.hope you find a great forever home for her soon

10. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    So sorry to hear of your health issues.hope you find a great forever home for her soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by