120 degrees is too hot for eggs =(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ariel301, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    After a power outage a couple of days ago (day 15 of my incubation), my incubator thermostat went crazy and spiked to 120 degrees for anywhere from a few minutes to all night, it happened overnight and I found it that way in the morning, so I am not sure how long it was so hot. It's day 20 today and I couldn't stand the waiting and hoping, and I haven't seen any movement in them on candling, so I opened one to see...it looked like a soft-boiled egg inside with a bunch of nasty brownish red goo. [​IMG] Continued opening, and all are dead.

Time to try again, I guess.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Oh bless your heart [​IMG] I did something similar last time and had a 112 spike and lost all but one. I had one lonely baby hatch...I hate that for you. Better luck next time [​IMG]

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Oh No!!! I'm so so sorry.....I was hoping it was a thermometer problem. I just got a new thermostat from Radio shack and it's working so great.... Just putting a plug in if you need one.

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    When I saw the temperature, I hoped the thermometer was broken, but I had two in there and one was brand new, both were accurate when I checked it with a third thermometer.

It's not my incubator, I borrowed it from the same place I got the eggs. I think the thermostat is ok, it's holding steady now, it just went nuts for a little bit due to the power outage. But if the owner wants to replace it, I'll tell her to check radio shack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by