12week old polish bantam with a twisted neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Debbiesue, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Debbiesue

Debbiesue Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    I have a 12 week old polish bantam with a twisted neck. She has been to the vets and he said she could have had a knock on the head or a vitamin deficiency. She eats a mix of chick crumb and growers but hasn't had veg for a couple of weeks as we have been on holiday. The vet has given her three anti inflammatory jabs plus three antibiotic jabs over the last week and now said it is down to her but if she has not improved in a week it would be cruel to continue.

She has untwisted her head to eat some watermelon and a little banana but needs to be fed water via a syringe. After a minute her head then falls and retwists.

She has also had critical care formulea sprinkled on watermelon for the last two days. I was thinking of buying some nutri-drops in the hope these could help her.

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have any suggestions of what else we can do.

2. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    It sounds like wry neck which is usually caused by a vitamin deficiency. I used polyvisol which are baby vitamins and can be found at drug stores. I used a whole dropper in a gallon of water. I could see improvement within 3 days and they were back to normal within 1 to 2 months.

3. Debbiesue

Debbiesue Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    Thank you for your quick response. I will pick some baby vitamins up tomorrow and start her on those. I really do not want to lose her as she is so friendly and everyone's favourite chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by