12x12 coop how many windows?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dobela, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Dobela

Dobela Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    Arkansas
    In south central Arkansas, usually very mild winters, except every 10 years or so. Last winter we had at least 2 or 3 snows of over 6 inches that lasted over a week, but typically it is just a small amount that melts the next day or 2. Summers are many, many days in 90s and last year many days over 100. Do more windows need to be on the north side? Unfortunately the previous owners of this property cut down almost all trees so very little shade where we will be placing the coop.

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I would do at least two windows, placed on opposite sides for extra air flow / ventilation when needed.

Good luck

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It sounds like your major issue is, by far, keeping enough airflow going to prevent too much heat buildup in summer.

I would suggest therefore maybe making most of the E wall mesh (with a solid panel you can put on for wintertime) with a large openable window on the other three sides (or if you skip one, skip the *north* side, as you seldom will get breeze from that direction on hot summer days anyhow). I am suggesting E as the mostly-open side b/c in places where I've lived e.g. OH and NC it doesn't generally rain hard from that direction in summer storms. If it's different in Arkansas -- and I'm not sure whether I've ever even driven thru your state, certainly not lived there -- then move the open side accordingly, perhaps to the S side with a healthy roof overhang.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by