12X8 building ... vent fan or just vents?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheRookie, Apr 2, 2012.

1. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a 12 X 8 building we are renovating into our chicken coop. A neighbor said we need a vent fan... those run pretty expensive for my moms taste. Would we be okay with coverable vents? Or, since its so big, do we need a fan to move the air around?
    Also, on the run, how far apart should the fence posts be? We are using treated wood posts.

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Lots of vents would be a must for a building that big. But you may also end up needing an exhaust fan.

There is no magic number for how far apart to place the posts - they need to be close enough so that the wire you use does not sag and remains strong against predators. The closer together the posts, the stronger the barrier.

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Typically, 8' is the industry standard for post spacing. If you are using chain-link, and can tension it properly, you can go to 10' apart.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    We used vented soffit on my 12x8 coop, and are also going to put it on my new 16x8 coop. There are also windows that can be opened or removed for the non-winter months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by