13 baby ducklings and no heat lamp

niikkbee

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 7, 2014
Have found 13 baby ducklings but its 12am and I have no heat lamp for them. They seem warm. Have wrapped them all up together and put them in a closed box with a towel on top to trap the heat. Also fulled them up on poultry mash. Its all I have. Is this okay? Im in auckland new zealand and its not very cold. Will they be okay? Im so worried about them

Also they are just normal wild ducklings. Im guessing they are about a week old

Also they are just normal wild ducklings. Im guessing they are about a week old
Welcome to BYC... What are your temps? even a desk lamp will give off some heat at 1 week old they should be kept at between 75 and 80 but with having 13 they may keep each other warm as long as they are kept out of drafts. How'd you come by 13? How are they doing with eating so have trouble getting wild ducklings to eat. ? and make sure they alwys have water when eating and that they can dunk their heads into the water to keep their nares clean.

General info on caring for ducklings..https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711 Are you going to contact a wild life rehabber?

Last edited:
They were on the road with no other ducks in sight waited around for ages. They are eating and drinking really well. I got up twice through the night to feed them and give them water. They dont seem cold at all. I only have a lizard lamp that is way more then 100 wats. I think it will be way to hot for them

They were on the road with no other ducks in sight waited around for ages. They are eating and drinking really well. I got up twice through the night to feed them and give them water. They dont seem cold at all. I only have a lizard lamp that is way more then 100 wats. I think it will be way to hot for them
Most likely it would be, I think you'd be able to tell if they were cold they be piled on top of each other, are they just laying normal? That's great they are eating and drinking keep feed out continually for them at this age and very important they have water too. Pics if you can.

Sorry about the bad picture. They make a mess very fast. They even went outside in there box and bathed in the sun. I put them in a small box at night in hot water cupboard and I havent lost any . Eating drinking and swimming alot! All seem very healthy

I thought ducks couldn't be fed the likes of the food we give chickens? Guessing you guys know more on that front than me! So cute, you going to keep them then? Duck eggs, jealous!

Actually my son asked if we could get some ducks to live "with" the hens, I might be swayed on that!

They look great, I'd change out the paper for bedding though shaving [not cedar] works really good for soaking up wetness, are they wood ducks or mallards? Ducklings need more niacin than chick feed can give them so you might want to look for some Brewers yeast and sprinkle some over their feed. Niacin dif can cause leg problems even neurological issues. Your doing a great job with these lil orphans.
ps they really need to be able to eat and drink as often as they want till at least 12 weeks old this is their growing period and need alot of nutrients and calories.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom