13 day old cause of dead?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by julio, Feb 29, 2012.

1. julio

julio New Egg

Jan 30, 2012
    Hi guys,lastnight i look in the cage to look how they were doing on food n water and notice that one of then was laying down on the side with the legs strech out, i move it to make sure he wasnt just streching because they all strech like that, so found out he was dead, took it out to see the cause,but he looked fine,no marks from others picking on him or anything like that, he looks like he was doing fine,maybe 30 mins. before i found him dead he was doing fine!, dont get it, anyone know what could cause it...

wish i could post pics,but it says i dont have permission...

2. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Sometimes those little chicks are so tiny some of their internal organs don't develop and they just give out at random. That's just one possibility, keep an eye on the other babies and watch out for poopy butts, letharigic attitude and droopy wings those are signs of them catching something. If they have no problems I'd say it was the first thing I listed. Sorry I don't have enough details to give you more info. I hope everyone is okay and the rest of your chicks are healthy.

3. julio

julio New Egg

Jan 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

4. julio

julio New Egg

Jan 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

yep sometimes it just happens. hard to say - like was said previously sometimes they are born with internal defects that we can't see, such as cardiomyopathy (ie a weak heart) and they just give out one day. I once had a batch of birds pretty much all die out on me within a couple days - it totally perplexed me. No symptoms at all. They were indoors in a clean brooder and doing fine till two weeks old then bam, they started dropping like flies. About 5 lived. Next batch i hatched was fine, and so was every one after that. nature is a mystery!

6. julio

julio New Egg

Jan 30, 2012
    can they choke with food or water?, i open the mouth and there was something inside,kinda browshis..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by