1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

13 eggs and she's not sitting on them

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by feliciamckee, Jun 6, 2011.

1. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    I researched this topic so I wouldn't have to ask a question since I am new and I have read so many posts...but I'm still unsure. I have what I think is an Ameraucana/JG mix. she layed her first egg (at least it is the first one since I have had her) on the 21st of May. She now has 13 all together but has not sat on them at all. I have read that she won't sit unless she has what she thinks is enough. I have also read she won't sit if she is not broody. Should I give her more time? Does anyone think she will sit or should I take them out? I read about the sink test, so if the oldest egg is 17 days old, would it still be fresh? I was so hoping for baby chicks!!!

2. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    OH, I forgot to say...someone else told me that if it is warm enough, she won't sit on them. It has been in the 90's here the last couple of weeks. So could she be letting them incubate on their own??? Thanks!

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You cannot make her broody, that is an act of nature. Just because there are a pile of eggs left in the nest won't make her sit on them.
    There are some good tutorials on the BYC home page. Might want to check them out. They won't incubate on their own, BTW. They will just go bad.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Appears to me she is not broody. Do you have an incubator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by