13 hens.. how many roos?

americana-chick

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 18, 2008
I am getting some BC marans soon (3 hens and 1 roo) and i already have 2 roos for my 10 hens but how do you think 3 roos would do with 13 hens? I really dont want to have to sell one and i am going to build a breeding pen for my BC marans but until then they will all have to be together.. any thoughts?

I would think the usual rule of thumb would say your ratio is too small. But there is nothing against trying. If the hens start losing feathers or other signs of too much love, then get rid of a rooster.

Many put one rooster in with 2-5 hens and have no problem. I have that situation. The problem you'll have is that if they are all together, the roosters will compete with each other and the girls will become stressed and barebacked, maybe even torn up on their sides. It also depends on the rooster's personalities, if they are heavy/vigorous breeders or more laid back. When I had just two roosters with almost 40 hens, the dominant one refused to share with his brother and I had to rehome the younger one.

I have one roo with 2 hens and they have all their feathers and all that, but I would suggest 5 per rooster. Its a nice even number. So for thirteen... 3 roos. For extra safety.
wink.png

I have 3 roos with 10 hens. My lead roo made sure the others knew their place and there hasn't been any squabbling since. My lead roo and #2 roo are both Brahmas, light and dark. My #3 roo is a spangled Hamburg, so much smaller than the other two. He doesn't get a lot of lovin' but I have 2 GP Hamburg hens who get his attention. I think the Brahmas know the Hamburg girls are too small because I've never seen anything between them.

I think roo/hen ratios depend a lot on the temperment of your breeds. Brahmas are pretty laid back. My main-man Burt is willing to share with #2 Silas. I'll be adding to my flock in the early spring so I'll even out my ratios too. Also, with larger more docile breeds, like the Brahmas, Cochins, Jersey Giants...they don't need as many so the ratios are smaller. My bigs boys seem to go after the same girls most of the time. More active roos will require more hens.

So, I think !'d learn about the temperments of the breeds involved. The more docil, larger breeds will allow you smaller ratios.

Back
Top Bottom