13 Light Brahmas - how do you gender? - new pics of about half of them

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Must Be Losing It, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I have a gazillion Light Brahma fully feathered chicks that I'd like to be able to start to sort out by gender. No one is crowing yet thankfully since they are in my garage under my bedroom much to my husband's chagrin.

That being said, at what age can I start to determine gender and what characteristics can I look for? They hatched on 11/23/08.

J

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    I can tell you what I would do if I had 13 of them the same age, I pick the extremes first, the one with the biggest and brightest comb and thickest legs would be my rooster, the one with the littlest or no comb and girly looking would be my pullet, I would start comparing the others to my two that I am using as a standard, there are bound to still be a couple that just don't fit any where, but its a start, also if all my babies looked a like, I would use bands after I decided which they were! That said, wish I had 13 light brahmas, I love them, my friend up the road has them exclusively.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with the method that andehens suggested. Also, the males are slower to feather out, especially across the wing bows.

4. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    What about by tail feathers? I was picking up a few of them and several have much more defined tails than others. Would that be a decisive way to determine gender?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    At 5 weeks I seperated my brahma cockerels from my pullets. The task was probably made easier because I only had the one breed, so the boys really stood out.
    At 5 weeks the boys had redder, more developed combs. The were slower to feather across the wing bows (shoulders) and the boys also had thicker legs. I didn't pay much attention to the tails.
    Can you post some pics? I think I might be able to help you out.

6. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    Quote:I won't be able to help you out, but do post pics by all means! [​IMG]
    I love light brahmas!

7. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Sure I will take some tonight. They're fun birds. The most docile I have hatched so far. I had two of the largest out this morning comparing them to the smaller one and the only obcvious difference I noted was tail feathers more developed on the larger. Since I don't have leg bands do you think it will bother the birds if I number them with a sharpie so I can tell them apart?

8. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    oh goody pictures to come! you could use zip ties for a loose temporary band, but I think a sharpie for numbers or marks would be ok too. If they were very toxic somebody would have sued them and they would be illegal by now!

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I might be able to tell with pictures. If they have more defined tails, I would guess roosters.

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Likewise, though I've had some that were 12 weeks old that were still stumping me. I have a 14 week old LB that has a very small comb/wattle, but I SWEAR I see pointed saddle feathers... [​IMG]

Pictures will help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by