13 or 14 wk old Australorp chick "honking"?

KCNC06

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
My Australorp chick is either 12 or 13 wks old, extremely small comb, no wattles to speak of, extremely sweet and docile, has started making an odd "honking" type noise recently. At first I though a goose had wandered into the yard. I picked her up and listened to her chest. No rattle or anything unusual other than the honking.

Do Australorp hens, or other breeds even, make unusual sounds...or is my she a he? If she's a he, what's up with the lack of comb?

It's quite normal before the mature voices take over. It's really funny when you have about 25 chicks and one starts honking. The rest of them look at it like it's lost it's mind.

It also may just have a cold. Occasionally I'll hear one of my chickens make a honking noise, and most times I don't know which one it is. So it may just be "hacking" to some extent.

Just her little voice changing. I hope yours isn't as much of a talker as mine was. She had to find a new home since she wouldn't shut up, and I'm "illegal." I love the honks though. I have 3 honkers right now.

Well it's good to know that she may just be a honker! I would have thought with a cold they'd have other symptoms, like snot or something. Eww! Chicken snot!!
smile.png
The only "odd" thing going on in the chicken yard, other than this honking Australorp, is that their poo is a little more....liquidy than normal. But from what I've read this could just be caused by the heat lately. It's horribly, unseasonably hot lately. It was 101 here about an hour ago!

Anyway. I agree, hopefully the honking doesn't turn into something that's too terribly annoying to the neighbors. We had to rehome a small flock of guineas earlier this year because the neighbors didn't like them. To the neighbor's credit our guineas would go up on the neighbor's porch and peep at them through the windows.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom