1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

13 silkie chicks and.... what ever this is :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dahartfarm, Dec 23, 2015.

1. dahartfarm

dahartfarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2015
    Maryland
    Hello all! This is my first post on BYC I raise/breed silkies as well as have a few other birds(since while beautiful and fluffy silkies dont always provide the most eggs and it takes them forever to lay). So about 15 weeks ago I had some chickies (3) hatch naturally and bought a few more to add to the mix which were hatched within a day of my own(because why not). So at 15 weeks I have 13 silkies and 1 surprise? lol. At 5 weeks she(maybe he) began greeting me every morning by flying out of the brooder box. My little friend will sit on my shoulder come when i cluck but is clearly not a silkie. So this is a recent picture from a few days ago. Chickie is batam sized, has 4 toes, green eyes and feathered feet. is chickie just an accidental flock mutt? what do you think? lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]here with some of Chickies hatchmates

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Breed??? Chickie is a pullet.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like a Buff Brahma. They can be slow to mature. It's not uncommon for males to not show sings of being male until they are over 3 months old.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Where did the bird come from, a hatchery or a breeder? What type of comb does it have?

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon

x2

If you purchased the chicks from a feed store, their bins are often erroneously mixed. If from a friend farm, their breeds are often mixed if they are not keeping strict pen policies.

If it were to be a Buff Brahma bantam, it should have a pea comb.

It may be just a backyard mix though.

LofMc

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    maybe buff brahma

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with the other members; Buff Brahma if it has a pea comb, mixed breed if it has a single comb.

8. dahartfarm

dahartfarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2015
    Maryland
    I got them from a breeder ( who breeds a few types of poultry) she had separated the chicks out but its always possible to get an egg in the wrong batch im sure lol! I dont see any comb at all but il check again

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

10. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    If it has a pea comb it is probably a Buff Brahma bantam.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by