13 silkie chicks ...now down to nine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VegaJones, Dec 15, 2013.

1. VegaJones

VegaJones Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Winter Haven Fl
    The first two I saw no signs but the 3rd was acting very strange like yawning or gasping constantly and making a little chirp after every gasp. I separated it from the group. That afternoon it died. A couple days later the oldest and biggest chick looked all puffed up and sleepy today. I put acv in their water since the 3rd chick started acting funny. I get back from my sons birthday dinner at 4th chick is dead. No one has bloody poo. Tomorrow I hope no chick is acting sleepy. I dont know what else to do but im thinking about treating them all for cocci any suggestions would be appreciated. Im still a newby. My first b atch of chicks I bought in july all lived and never went tgrough this. Now im afraid I will loose all these chicks please help me

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old are your chicks, and did they get shipped from a hatchery? They might be dying from stress in shipping from cold. What is your brooder set-up and heat like?

3. VegaJones

Aug 29, 2013
    Winter Haven Fl
    They range from2-6weeks. I picked them up from a good breeder. They are inside so the temp is stable. I have them on non medicated crumbles.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that they may have Coccidiosis. I'd get some Corid (either liquid of powder) and start treating for Coccidiosis.

5. VegaJones

Aug 29, 2013
    Winter Haven Fl
    How much for such little birds and for how long

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you're using the Corid 9.6% liquid, the dosage is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water. For the powder, the dosage is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of water. Change the water daily, and treat for five days.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    After treatment with Corid (amprollium) give them probiotics and vitamins for a week or so afterward. After 3 weeks, you can repeat the Corid at the 1/2 strength preventative dose for another 5 days if you wish.

8. VegaJones

Aug 29, 2013
    Winter Haven Fl
    Thanks everyone we saved my 9 babies they are happy and active. Love byc

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh, it's good to hear they are doing better. Enjoy your little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by