13 week chicken pecked/injured badly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KandJChickenFarm, Mar 15, 2019.

1. KandJChickenFarm

KandJChickenFarm In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2019
    South Carolina
    We purchased (4)- 1 week old Easter eggers around Christmas and just now introduced them into our flock of 5 red sex links and 2 black Wyandottes, as we were instructed to do. (We have since moved the babies into their own little coop that we purchased so they can have more time to grow before re-introduction) Unfortunately, one of the babies was pecked awfully bad and very badly injured yesterday. I’ve brought her in the house, cleaned her very well am spraying vetericyn on her and applying neosporin. She’s in a warm, safe space and we’re keeping it dark for most of the day. Today she started drinking water and is walking around in her safe area.

She was pecked so badly, in just a few hours, that the skin on her head fell down the back of her head and was resting at the base of her neck. Her skull and neck muscles were showing. Her skull is fine. Now it’s a waiting game. Anyone have any other suggestions of what to do to help hopefully rehabilitate her?

I have a photo of when I found her- but it’s very graphic.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry about your injured pullet. Integrating chicks can be dangerous sometimes. We do need to see your graphic pictures to help. The Vetericyn is very good to use on the wounds, followed by plain Neosporin/Triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. It probably will take some time for the pullet to recover. They sometimes won’t eat and drink well, so you will need to try and help it eat. Are the eyes okay? I will try to locate a very similar recent thread to read since there were good pictures of how the wound progressed. I would try to get her to take a mash of wet chick feed, a little cooked egg, and a lot of lukewarm water seevral times a day.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019 at 7:46 AM
    ChickNanny13 likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. KandJChickenFarm

Mar 14, 2019
    South Carolina
    You really can’t see the full extent of her injury. The back of her neck is also showing.. and the skin has fallen down around the base of her neck. After I cleaned it, I tried to pull it back up, but there wasn’t enough.

Attached Files:

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh poor thing. You really need to separate her in a,crate with her own food and water. I would bring her inside to control the dust and dirt getting into the wounds. Do you have Vetericyn or saline, and triple antibiotic ointment for wound care?

6. KandJChickenFarm

Mar 14, 2019
    South Carolina
    Hi! Yes, we have her in the house with us. I’ve been using vetericyn spray and neosporin.

7. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :hugs Poor thing :hugs Eggcessive gave good advice, always does :bow

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully, her brain wasn’t injured from the pecking. They can usually grow new skin and feathers when they are young, but a head injury can cause other problems. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. Keeping her eating and drinking are very important. Please keep us posted on her status.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019 at 7:47 AM
  9. KandJChickenFarm

Mar 14, 2019
    South Carolina
    Thank you so much! I will. She is more active today than she was yesterday by eating, drinking and walking some in her little safe space. She has started actually making noise too. Hopefully, she will pull through this!

10. ejtrout31

ejtrout31 Songster

Aug 13, 2018
    deer river mn
    Update

KandJChickenFarm likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: