13 Week Old barred Rock Pullet or Cockerel???? Also name suggestions???!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wetrqy1, Nov 8, 2013.

1. wetrqy1

wetrqy1 New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    I am suspicious my 13 week old barred rock "pullet" is really a cockerel she/he has not started crowing, but I'm still concerned please let me know what you guys think.???!?
    :(
    He/she name is rosy but if it is infact a cockerel any name suggestions, I was thinking Brooster, but I would love to hear any suggestions

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm leaning towards roo, but it could still be a hen (still on the darker side of color)...but taller in stance therefore more "roo-ish."

I may be seeing some spiky hackle feathers, and that definitely is a fairly developed comb and wattles...but it is not super red and some BR hens can mature faster.

It helped me to take a flashlight out at night and look at the bird. If it has a lot of very shiny spiky hackles (they will sparkle in the light), then it is probably a roo. Hens will have some matted shine to their hackles, but I don't see the sparkle "stripes" that I get with a roo as the light shines off the spiky hackles. If you see some on the back and rump, then it is almost certainly a developing roo who will get saddle feathers.

Here's a photo of my developing roo at 10 weeks (crowed at 11 weeks).

Brooster's cute for a name...it just depends on what you want to portray. My roo below was "Flash" after the comic book character (named by my daughter). I've also had a Quiche turn into a "Souffle" (as it "fell" not being a hen).

It's barred...so you could call it Shakespeare (the Bard rock).

Start brainstorming and let the fun (and puns) begin.

HTH
    Lady of McCamley

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  3. wetrqy1

wetrqy1 New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    His/her tail is what is most concerning to me how it is very pointy and slightly curved when he's walking around it looks very "roosterly :/

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Agreed. Looking awful roo-ish to me.

5. Cheeky Chick

Cheeky Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I think far too dark to be a roo. M BR girls are all VERY white, but the dark bars are black. On a BR roo, the bars are more grey.

6. wetrqy1

wetrqy1 New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    It is a hatchery bird so it may not be pure hence the darker color?

7. Cheeky Chick

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Maybe. or it just might have longer than normal tail feathers. You'll know for sure when you get a crow or an egg, I guess!

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Looks like a pullet to me.

9. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Looks like a pullet to me also. Picking names for chickens is occasionally hard, good luck finding a name that suits her. My Barred Rock hens names are Bliss, Tori and Rocky.

Here is one of my pullets at 14 weeks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  10. Cheeky Chick

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I have 3, May, June and July. (Started with May and Flower, but Flower passed away, so June and July joined the flock.) :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by