13 week old blue Cochin - pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pathognomonic, Aug 15, 2014.

1. pathognomonic

pathognomonic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    This is a bonus chick from McMurray, Slate. Though I always thought I didn't like feather-legged breeds, this one really got me. I have assumed that it is a rooster but I'm starting to wonder. My rooster died this past winter and this "fellow" is supposed to be his replacement. But, at 13 weeks I haven't heard even a faint gurgle-crow from Slate. I'm happy either way. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    You wont be getting any eggs from that fellow

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You have a beautiful Blue Cochin cockerel.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a cockerel to me.

5. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

X4, he is a beautiful cockerel though! :)

6. pathognomonic

pathognomonic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    I'm actually very happy that he is a cockerel - I've been looking for an easy-going rooster for my flock. The rooster I had previously was a true gentleman, he took care of his ladies, never caused any damage to their backs or combs and was quite polite around people (he only jumped at me a handful of times in 5 years and it was usually my fault) and when he died I knew I'd have a hard time replacing him. I kept a silver-laced Wyandotte cockerel that I got in the spring, he ended up being advertised as a "free, tasty rooster" on our local chicken forum.
    Slate really is a handsome fellow, especially considering that I got a true blue rather than a splash, and I'm hopeful that he will be a worthy successor to Angus. I don't bring in chickens except from hatcheries and vaccinated for Marek's. I don't need to be showing them, so getting hatchery birds is just fine for me.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, you have a beautiful Blue Cochin rooster.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's beautiful, and should fit your wants perfectly.

Remember, large Cochins are pretty slow to mature, and at 13 weeks he's still just a baby. My bantam Cochin roosters from May aren't crowing yet, either. Folks on here have reported their large fowl Cochin rooster haven't crowed or mated until 8ish months.

9. Caheen

Caheen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG] This is how differently they mature. These 2 boys are both 8 weeks old, and the barred looks like he could crow any day, and the cochin is just a big docile baby.

10. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

You have a rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by