13 week old chickens... can you tell if you have a rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ringo71, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Ringo71

Ringo71 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I have 13 week old Buckeyes that I picked up from Meyers Hatchery. I ordered all pullets, but I'm thinking I may have a couple roosters. Out of 12 there are 2 that seems to be braver than the others. One in particular will always come to me first before the others. It hasn't exhibited aggressive behavior towards me, but it seems like it could be a pretty confident fellow. lol

I've watched them to see if they walk differently. I read a post here that said young roosters strut? The two suspects seem to have dark tail feathers, but other than that, I have no clue. lol I spent 2 hours in the coop I just build watching the little boogers, well not so little anymore, walk around. I didn't notice a strut, but I'm a chicken newbie and wouldn't really know what a "strut" looked like.

I got Buckeyes partly because I live in Ohio and thought... why not get Buckeyes!? lol The main reason I got em was they had pea combs. So far, I'm absolutely thrilled that I decided to get into this chicken hobby, but it's driving me crazy trying to figure out if I have a rooster or not! lol While the pea combs will be better in the winters, I'm afraid without a large one, I won't be able to tell till they are full grown. lol

I kinda want at least one of them to be a rooster just so I can hear it go crazy in the morning and so it can give a little protection to my flock.

I guess if they all stay friendly I don't need to worry too much. It still would be nice to know so I can start showing him that I'm the boss at a young age. hehe

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    post pictures and people could tell you probably.. there was a post on here with a lot of different ways to tell roosters from hens. but i cant find it.. Maybe you can, just search for it

-Daniel

3. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    With most breeds they would be crowing, but Buckeyes don't really crow they
    "roar" so I'm told. I have 4 Buckeyes at 9 wks. I hatched these guys. I think I have 2 roos and 2 pullets. The ones that I think are roos have a wider, redder comb. No difference in behavior with the 4 I have. Sorry, not much help here.

4. Ringo71

Ringo71 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Yeah, I've ready a billion posts that have to do with it but the chickens I happen to own don't really exhibit the usual chicken behaviors. I could almost swear some of them are cats by the way the hunt bugs and catch flies. They don't exactly cluck and I've been told a rooster roars. lol I guess I'll just wait to hear my first lions crow in the morning. When I picked them up at the hatchery the lady told me that Buckeyes actually hunt mice as aggressively as cats do if by chance they see one.

Have to figure out how to get pics on here. Not very good with computer stuffs. [​IMG] Meh, doesn't matter if I have a roo or not I guess. Me likes muh chickens. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by